Sunday, May 14, 2006

A tour of the Thames

Wow that was a good sleep-despite being in a dorm. I'm still not in the right time zone and was out of bed at 5.30 ready to face London. The hostel is almost on top of St Paul's Cathedral so I spent a little while wandering the outside of the Cathedral taking photos and meeting my first British Wildlife-squirells (not Chipmunks, way too many hitpitched songs of my childhood).

After breakfast at the hostel I went for a walk down the Thames along Victoria embankment to Westminister Abbey and Big Ben. This city is like a museum with so many older buildings and memorials.

I can reccomend a ride on the London Eye early in a first trip to London. It was a great way to orientate oneslf and get a birds-eye view of the city. I can also reccomend fish, chips and mushy peas with a pint of Young's Bitter at the Dogget Coat and Badge Pub for lunch. I continued a walking tour of significant buildings on the south side of the river to Liverpool Station to visit the London Dungeon.

I can reccomend skipping the London Dungeon. The Dungeon is like a ghost train on steroids and with out the train (though normally there is a boat ride but that is under maintenance). It was okay but it with so much real stuff around I could have better spent that hour and a half.

There are some weird buildings here (photos to come) such as the town hall but modern sits very well beside the more historice scuh as the Tower Bridge and the Tower of London where I rounded out my day.

I have to say the crown jewels are like a good crockery sets that was a wedding gift that always stay in the cupboard. They're useless unless you actually use them. But I guess they are nice to look at.

2 Comments:

At 00:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John

Good to hear you got to the UK and are only a semi-zombie from the jetlag.

By the way I think you have seen too many US TV shows. The little creatures you saw were most likely squirrels, not chipmunks.

Must have been a great FA Cup. I skipped it but it sounds like it would have been worth watching.

Enjoy London!

 
At 10:49, Blogger John said...

Rob, yes it didn't feel right when I used Chipmunks.

Cindy, I'll be in Germany for the sostice. I am staying with a friend who is in walking distance of the Avebury ston cirlce so will be there. I'm not sure if I'll get to Stone Henge though will not be far away.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury_stone_circle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home