Monday, May 15, 2006

We should be changing the guard


I still don't understand why I've had to fly 22 hours across the world to see where my own head of state hangs out. It just doesn't make sense. After seeing the crown jewels Sunday and wandering by Buckingham Palace Monday morning I was feeling very uncomfortable with this whole monarchy thing. I'm sure it had its place in less enlightened times but today I cannot fathom its purpose. Maybe it has its place for Great Britain (or maybe just England) but Australia? I want to know why there isn't a seperate Australian, Commonwealth et al Passport line when I arrived at Heathrow. After all as an Australian Citizen aren't I a subject of the Queen and hence deserving of special treatment from Her Majestey's Immigration Service?

2 Comments:

At 22:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah - a republican ratbag loose in London! Great fun. Always remember those immortal line from MP & the HG: "So how did you become King then? ...." Think of the monarchy as as a means of kind of sheltered workshop for those from a limited gene pool.

Oh well, off to Parkes now. Have an enjoyable time hobnobbing with the aristocracy.

 
At 05:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're posting - makes my dull work day a tad more interesting!And I totally agree with you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home