Monday, May 15, 2006

Buried heros

While I had difficulty with the Monarchy I have less of a problem with grand places of worship. I'm not a Christian and admit to wavering between being an agnostic or atheist. Still when I walk into a 'church' I often feel a sense of spirtual awe. I had a good look through the massive St Paul's Cathedral and it is an astonishing piece of architecture. I can see how it is a symbol of hope to so many- as it was during the blitz. Maybe that is one useful role of the monarchy-hope?

There are many deserving and significant individuals buried in St Paul's crypt, Alexander Flemming, among them. It was amzing to be walking past and over the remains of so many significant figures. Out of respect I didn't take any photos of the inside, mind you that did not stop many of the other toursists from clicking and flashing away.

As I am inclined to do I had to climb the many steps to the top of the Cathedral, by the whispering gallery and up to near the top of the dome. The view was awesome. I do have some photos of the outside-day and night but the camera battery is flat so will add those a little later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home