Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Edinburgh first impressions

Most of central Edinburgh, including the location of my hostel, is World Heritage Listed and I can understand why. I spent the afternoon getting my bearings walking the streets, despite the excellent bus system. Very close to 100% of the buildings here look genuinely historic, built of stone. People go about their day to day business surrounded by history.

The Castle on a long extinct volcano overlooks the city with the 'old city' built on the sides of the hill working its way up the 'Royal Mile' to the castle gates. Just off the Royal Mile I stopped in to a pub for a very late lunch and a Pint and had my first taste of Haggis, neeps and tatties. Good stuff!

I picked up a copy of the local gig guide and discovered that both Edinburgh and Glasgow are happening towns 7 nights a week. I hoped to see a few bands but unfortunatly the gig was cancelled at the last minute. Interestingly despite the beautiful scenery around the city I didn't take a single photo prefering to soak it in instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home